Our actions follow our thoughts. When we dwell on something, we begin to act in accordance to those thoughts.
Thought life matters!
So for us, what we think about organization (whether of our physical stuff or our time) really affects us. And often, we are WRONG in our thinking and therefore STUCK in our actions.
Have you ever thought any of these?
- I just can't ever be organized like _____.
- This is how I am wired.
- This is how I grew up--my mom never did anything either and I'm just like her.
- This is how I grew up--my mom did everything for me so I never learned.
- No one at home helps me (because they are too little or not interested) so I can't do it alone.
- I don't have time to be organized.
- I can't afford the things I need to be organized.
and the one that kept me stuck for so long:
- It doesn't really matter--there are more important things that I need to do.
Those are all lies. And you know it or you wouldn't be drawn to reading this.
And here is the hope:
YOU GET TO CHOOSE YOUR THOUGHTS!
You can think:
- I do not have to be organized like anyone, but rather be an organized version of me.
- I can learn new things, including how to be organized.
- I can use my past to teach me lessons but not to define my future.
- My mom did the best she could with what she knew at the time. (Don't we want that grace from our kids--who we pray we're not screwing up!?)
- I can train my kids to be organized versions of themselves (help them discover what works for them).
- I can do what I can do.
- My kids will be able to help eventually.
- My family will be better set up to help when they're ready.
- My family may be motivated to help when they see changes.
- Everyone has the same amount of hours in a day. I can choose to use my time where I need to.
- I can make changes that don't cost money.
- I can re-purpose things to help me be better organized.
and my newest, clearest thought:
- I can get to the important things because I am organized.
For too long, I had been prioritizing lots of "good" things and been NEGLECTING what looked so overwhelming. Until I started seeing that I would have freedom to think and plan and serve if I didn't have to worry about finding paperwork, or arts and craft supplies, or thinking of what to make for dinner. It has been slow and steady progress over many years of doing small things, taking baby steps, and adjusting how I think.
I caught myself telling someone I wasn't organized--because I still have so much I want to tackle.
But you know what? I have seen growth and I want to acknowledge that and maybe help others.
So I want to post things here that I've been afraid to share--maybe I do like it when people think I'm organized. LOL And where I've had victory, I don't want to contribute to someone thinking they can't be organized like me.
The truth is, I have been working on this for a long time. And I'm not done. And I'd love company on this journey.
You in? What lie are you telling yourself? Can you catch it and speak truth instead?

Inspired by you!!! Keep sharing!!
ReplyDelete