i realize how much i want to get to know some of the women whose blogs i read. i comment once in a while but end up feeling like an intruder in their life. i want to reach out and invite them over for coffee or ice cream. i end up feeling like i'd be pretentious.
friends who are in my season of life are easier to approach, "hey, let's get the kids together to play" really means, "come, please come and share some time with me."
but how do i approach the older, empty nester who i admire and want to get to know? how can i say, "talk to me, teach me how you have been a mother and wife and friend and child of God." i see them, in church, i know their names, i admire their ministries to women, to their families, to children. i imagine that they too want to reach out, to impact a life.
then, there are women who seemingly have very little in common with me, but i see them hunger for God and i want to get to know them, to encourage them as a friend, not just some comment on a blog.
what excites me these days, is that i see all these women, all in different seasons, all bearing fruit of God's work in their lives, all right here, i wish we could all talk to each other.
i have been meditating on titus 2:3-5
Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
of course, i want to think i'm the YOUNGER woman. :) but in reality, these verses talk about a wonderful multi-generational dynamic where we each can be helped by older women and in turn help those who are younger.
it's about using the training we've accumulated as we've lived life to pass it on to someone who has yet to experience some season. and even the training in the "basics" of trusting God and relying on His strength.
i'm tempted to retreat and spend more time with just me and God, but i know that He wants me to live out what i'm learning with Him and about Him, and not hoarde the knowledge, but put it all into practice, radical obedience of all the "one anothers" that we read in the bible. how else do i practice those if not in community?
Sorry I don't comment more often. It takes too many extra steps from my blog reader.
ReplyDeleteBut be encouraged... the blog world brought our paths to cross. We were total strangers when my blog brought me to your mind for MOPS. And I'm so glad that it did. I've met so many awesome moms that are ahead of me on their mothering journey. And I've really enjoyed those last minute phone calls this year when you've popped over to drop off MOPS stuff, or I've come over for freecycle.
We'll have to make a point to get together once you don't need my moving boxes ; )
Hey....dont get discouraged!! I love reading your post. I'm sorry I dont comment more too. I appreciate your comments on mine b/c you are the only one. There are some of us who read, think of a response or a comment and get distracted and exit too soon. But I know for your blog and I hope on mine, that you are indeed reaching out. We need more people like you, who dont give up pursuing better relationships b/c so many of us do and we find ourselves alone at times. So keep on striving and I promise to comment more. I am sure I'm not alone when I say, we like your stories & your thoughts.
ReplyDelete