Sunday, February 7, 2010

Jesus washed their feet

I realize how much I miss when I have become familiar with a biblical account--or maybe how much I miss because I just don't have the context.

This past week in BSF, we looked at Jesus washing the feet of the disciples. I have understood that it was an act of service, but I just didn't see how much love he was pouring on them.

They were in the upper room to celebrate the Passover privately, it was becoming increasingly dangerous for Jesus in Jerusalem. Because it was just them, there was no slave there to tend to the lowly task of washing the feet of the guests.

I can imagine them bickering about who would do it, "No, you do it. Jesus called me first." "No, you...I'm one of his favorites." "But I'm older." Naturally, the arguing became about who was greater. I didn't see before that it began as a way to avoid the menial, but necessary task. "I'm too good and important to have to touch your disgusting feet" is what they were really arguing about.

Then, Jesus steps up and does it! He removes his outer robe--without it, he is clothed as a slave. And HE begins to wash their feet. Imagine how embarassed they are! And the shame of it.

Yes, he's serving them, and he is showing them how to love--by serving. But more than that, he is giving us a PICTURE.

I know he gives us pictures, but I'd missed this one.

I love the 2nd Chapter of Philippians because I studied it with my girls back when I worked with student ministry. It was about having the mind of Christ, about considering others before yourself, MYSELF.

THIS is a picture of that passage.

Jesus, being God and knowing it, did not clutch tight his outer robe and demand the honor due to him--He knew he was about to go through a tough time and yet he didn't demand to be ministered to or to be served. Instead, he took on the role of a slave to wash away the filth from their feet.

Jesus willingly removed his glorious robe as an eternal being and stepped into time, into human flesh so that he could cleanse us of our sin! And not just the one time, when we need a bath and are welcomed into his family at salvation, but DAILY as we sin because we still live on this planet. But he has said that if we confess our sins he will forgive them--we have to let him wash them away so we can have uninterrupted fellowship with him. He explained it to Peter who at first didn't want to let Jesus wash his feet--Jesus told him he would not be part of him. If we don't confess our daily sins, we cannot have fellowship with Jesus.

I don't know if I've jumped around too much or if this makes sense to anyone but me. But I had to write it down, I had to repeat it for my self. I have loved how God is teaching me through BSF--notes & lecture. I have not arrived at all this alone, I am repeating from those who have come before and been given wisdom--I am simply marveling at the revelation and the opening of God's word. What a joy!

It is a true treasure hunt. And I pray I am continually drawn to mine more and more treasure from his Word, for myself.

Children are up and I am given a wonderful opportunity with these little people whom God has entrusted to me--to be humble and serve them. To love them even when they are being unlovely.

To do all the mundane and menial because I am doing it for God.

Because the ways of God's kingdom are COUNTERINTUITIVE to this world. :)

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for your Word, and how you've filled it with examples and principles for us. How You reveal your promises and youself to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment