Tuesday, August 12, 2014

God delights in answering our prayers

I love how God gives us opportunities to put into practice the things we say we believe.  

I have had the great privilege to be preparing teaching on prayer--it's been a summer theme really.  And I've loved it!  I want to post about it, but for now, I have to document something that just happened.

My youngest has been listening to this teaching (formally on Sunday), but also as I've talked about what I'm learning as we go about our days.  It sort of spills out.  (Not the only thing that spills out.)

Background.  She has been asking for a pricey backpack for months, if not years.  And I've been putting her off.  Well, with the start of school around the corner, we started looking online to find a deal.

Enter Tax-Free Weekend.  If you do not know, I am NOT fond of crowds.  HOWEVER, in an effort to go SEE the backpack and possible catch a deal, we headed to the outlets near our house on Sunday.

I did expect crowds, but I was not prepared for the parking situation that I saw as I approached the outlets.  The parking lot looked full and there were cars parked on the grass.



Um. NO.

I was about to turn around, but in an effort to avoid the meltdown that would have surely ensued, I said, "I am not going to deal with trying to find a spot in that mess, much less parking on the grass.  BUT I will turn in and head to the side that has the store we need.  Start praying now that there is a parking spot near the building or we're heading home."

The reality is that I wanted to head home right then and there, but wanted to divert the wrath of the nine-year old.  I figured I was passing the buck.  Super spiritual, right?

We drove past cars waiting at the end of full rows of parked cars, muttering, "This is nuts."

As we arrived on the far side of the mall, I started scanning.  Less than five seconds later I was shaking my head in amazement, and telling her, "Thank God right now, because He has shown you favor.  He must want you to have this backpack."  I pulled into the second spot of that row, with just ONE car between us and the building.

I was excited with my girl.  And yet ashamed that I was about to use God to justify my decision.  Convicted that I had not genuinely wanted to pray too for a favorable outcome--I would have missed the opportunity to connect real life to the teaching she's been hearing.

Some people think that God doesn't care about those kinds of details.  That He's too busy with big things.  And yet putting ANY limits on what God has time for or capacity to care about is ridiculous.  He is capable of anything--including granting favor to a nine-year old.

We did find a great deal on the backpack.  I am excited that she has a tangible reminder, that will be with her at school everyday to remind her that God listens to ALL prayers--big & small.  And that He delights in answering our requests.

She knows that God isn't a genie in a bottle--He doesn't always give us what we ask for, and He certainly doesn't always answer when we want.  She's learning those lessons too.  We all are.  

Please, don't confuse what this story is about.  This is a single example of a Good Father giving a good gift.

"Jesus loves me. This I know, for the Bible tells me so."  BUT ALSO
"Jesus loves me. This I know, for He answers my prayers."

I love that she got to see how much God loves her.

No comments:

Post a Comment