Saturday, October 4, 2014

and then we had an orchestra

I love music.  I don't often recall specific lyrics or read music or even recognize familiar tunes.  Well, I do recognize, just can't identify.  YET, I love the role of music in my worship.  Not just in the expected ways--like singing in church and in my car.  Simply, I marvel at the graciousness of God to give us music in the first place.

I hear a beautiful voice and I wonder, "How could anyone think THAT just evolved from sludge?"

A generous and wonderful God gifted that person with that voice, and the person who wrote the song, and the person who wrote the music and the person who played it.  (Never-mind that they can live and move and desire to even create the music).  All those people working together, weaving their gifts into the delivery of a beautiful song.  I think I get teary-eyed each time.

I love to hear when many voices blend to lift up a song.  I love imagining that heavenly scene (Revelation 5:9) where there will be a choir comprised of people from every tribe and language and people group and nation.  So many different languages, all worshiping God!

That scene makes me think of an orchestra.  And how a single instrument can play beautifully--but when they all play, it's magical.

Okay, here's my point.

I am preparing to teach the kiddos tomorrow about the Tower of Babel, when God confused the languages.  Such mercy from God--when the people had disobeyed Him by settling in one place and NOT "filling the earth"  like they'd been instructed after Noah and his family got off the ark.  (And really, it was just the re-stating of what God had told Adam.)

Instead of multiplying and filling the earth, they decided to stick together and make a name for themselves.  SO, God threw a monkey wrench in their plans and gave them many different languages.

Not one language.  Many.  There in that place of disobedience, God created other languages.  The people then scattered and the richness of different languages and cultures began.

Instead of a single instrument offering up a beautiful song for God--it will be a complete and perfect orchestra!  It will be perfect because Jesus is WORTHY of perfect worship!

That heavenly choir can only fully worship the amazing God we serve when it has all the tone and texture and richness of every single language represented.  It WILL happen.  I can't wait to sing!

Lord, thank you for how you use all things for Your greatest glory!  Help us as we seek all choir members from around the globe--because only when that full and perfect worship is offered will our commission to make disciples of all nations be accomplished.


No comments:

Post a Comment