Sunday, November 30, 2014

Takeaways from a great conference

I am a big fan of John Piper.  I visit his ministry's website OFTEN.  In BSF, we're asked to leave any commentary until after the four layers of study (personal, group discussion, lecture and notes)--frequently for my fifth layer, I will be on DesiringGod.org to search for what Piper taught on that passage.

Providentially, I caught the announcement that he was coming to do a lab of his Bible study method:  "Look at the Book," here in town.  I've seen a few of the videos posted (8-12 minute videos with camera on text).  Good stuff for the nerd in me. (Here's a link to all the labs.)

But more than seeing him dissect a passage of the Bible during those hours, I was able to learn about WHY he's doing this (now that he's retired from his role as a teaching pastor) and how he approaches Bible study.

I was quite impacted--and yet not surprised.  The man has a high view of Scripture and his love and passion for God is apparent.  I pray for his impact as he is striving to finish well.

I am still thinking through the things I learned and what Piper said.  I wanted to reflect on some of that here, a little at a time.

First, the program we were given for the lab was simply the Scripture text with space for notes.  He did include an introductory letter from which I learned what John Piper is up to now.  Here a taste:
For most of my pastoral life, I heralded the wonders of what I saw in the Bible. ... But I seldom focused on how I saw the spectacular truths of Scripture.  My preaching and writing aimed mainly to bring people to a banquet, not take them into the kitchen.
When I think of the coming generations.  I am not content to only leave them a deposit of books and sermons...  If future generations only learn what we saw, and not how to see it for themselves, they will be second-handers.  And second-handers cannot last.  They grow bored and boring.  Powerful, truth-preserving, God-glorifying, Christ-exalting, soul-ravishing, mission-advancing ministry is sustained by the power to see for yourself the glories of God's word.
I owe my theology, my ministry, and my life to this simple habit:  Looking at the Book. 
Those were the sentences I underlined. And this one I starred:
Powerful, truth-preserving, God-glorifying, Christ-exalting, soul-ravishing, mission-advancing ministry is sustained by the power to see for yourself the glories of God's word.
(Here's Piper's blog post with similar content.)

All of this resonates with me.  I have fallen in love with God through the study of His Word and my desire is to help others do the same.  To find Him, to KNOW Him, to live FOR Him.  There is no greater joy.  All the things this world promises cannot compare!

As a parent, I also want to help my kids not be "second-handers."  I pray daily that they will each have a vibrant relationship with Jesus.  They are my first disciples as I have been called to make disciples.


In the booklet, Piper also listed three points on "How to Read the Bible for Yourself."

1.  Read for the author's meaning, not your own.

2.  Ask questions to unlock the riches of the Bible.  (This is something he demonstrated as we worked through the passage.)

  • Ask about words.
  • Ask about phrases.
  • Ask about relationships between propositions.
  • Ask how the context helps define the meaning of words and phrases.
  • Ask about connections with other passages in the Bible.
  • Ask about application.
  • Ask about affections--appropriate responses to the text in the heart.

3.  Pray
O Lord, incline our hearts to your word.  Give us a desire for it.  Open our eyes to see wonders there.  Subdue our wills and give us an obedient spirit. Satisfy our hearts with a vision of yourself and your way for our lives.
And then we got started...





No comments:

Post a Comment