Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Follow and Don't GO

This year I am following a Bible reading plan that has me reading in four sections of the Bible on any given day; currently Matthew, Acts, Psalms, Genesis.  I did the New Testament sections this morning and was struck by something.

In Matthew, Jesus is starting to call His disciples, specifically Peter and Andrew.  He utters the famous, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

How many times has that passage been used to show that following Jesus is about leaving what you're doing and following Him?  I know I've seen it multiple times in recent years.  It is not a bad message.  Something radical shifts when we "FOLLOW" Jesus.

But before I could gloss over the all-too-familiar passage, God brought to mind another encounter Jesus had with someone who was radically changing their life and NOT literally and physically following Jesus' footsteps.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Luke 19 in the last few months in preparation for our church's annual missions conference.  Our theme is "engage," taken from the instructions left to the servants of the nobleman in the parable of the ten minas.

Why was Jesus telling this parable?  Well, right before He shares this parable, we get to meet Zacchaeus, a tax collector.  A chief tax collector, nonetheless.

Jesus sees Zacchaeus, beckons him to come down from the tree and then has dinner with him.

Zacchaeus promises to make restitution to those he (likely) defrauded and to give money to the poor. Jesus replies, "Today salvation has come to this house."  Zacchaeus has become a "follower" of Jesus.

Of course, Jesus' critics grumble.  That is when Jesus replies with the parable.

Jesus tells them how a master has gone away and left ten servants to conduct business on his behalf, using his money.  When the master returns, two servants present varying degrees of profit, yet both receive praise.  A third servant has done NOTHING with the master's investment and is thus left with nothing, stripped of the responsibility and of any reward.

I didn't go searching for references, but there were other times when Jesus did not let people follow Him--instead sending them to the temple, or back to family.

As I pondered that fresh look at the Matthew passage, I went over to Acts.  Where we read about hurt-feelings and resentment about how the widows were being treated.  The apostles essentially pointed out that they should not neglect the word of God to take care of this administrative matter.  Then they passed on that responsibility to others.

Here again I saw that believers, "followers" of Jesus are given different jobs.  I love when a passage of Scripture sheds light on another passage!

There are different callings.  Believers are uniquely prepared to do the work God has ordained for them.  And they are all needed for the whole to function.  The apostles could not continue to do their work if the church had continued in the path toward fracture.

That is still the case today.  We are each called to "follow" Jesus be exercising the gifts and abilities and passions that He has given us.  Maybe a closer, intimate walk with Jesus is needed to prepare for teaching and preaching, for shepherding of fellow believer.  Or perhaps staying in our job and exercising integrity and generosity.  We are ALL needed for the whole to function.

He gives us gifts--and we get to use them for His glory, for growing His kingdom.  Because like the master from the parable of Luke 19, Jesus IS coming back. Soon.

What gifts has He given you for use in this season?  How are you using them for His glory?




No comments:

Post a Comment