Friday, May 12, 2017

the gift of teaching children

Also wanted to flesh out a thought that came to me Wednesday morning.

I've had the gift of a fifth layer at BSF. 

If you are familiar with the structure of BSF, we have a four-layer approach to studying God's Word.  First, we take the passage and spend time on our own--just God's Word and God's Holy Spirit, with us, in the quiet, with the questions.  He has shown me, gently where I need a course correction, or perhaps given me encouragement, sometimes even a rebuke.  I find it's best when I take my time between sections and really meditate.

Second, ,we come on Mondays (that is when leaders discuss) with women who are committed to learning and digging and applying truth to their lives.  I get to discuss what I've learned--and hear from others.  What a precious gift!  I love Mondays!  I love that God gives me a community of women to grow in knowledge and in obedience.

Third, we hear a lecture on the same passage.  My dear friend and teaching leader spends her own time in private study and with us in discussion and then vulnerably and humbly depends on God to show her what our class needs.  I am always challenged to apply the lessons from the scripture.  I have had to develop as an auditory learner in the last six years in the Children's Program since I don't see the lecture live, but that has also been a gift to be able to expand other learning opportunities through podcasts, etc.

The fourth layer is the notes provided by BSF.  These are full of insight and scripture and even convicting questions and observations. Sometime we get background that helps explain concepts since we are asked that we don't go outside of the passage of scripture (to other commentary or sermons) until this step.  God is faithful to show me directly, personally, uniquely.  I don't doubt that He gives teacher and preachers and authors insight, but the growth that has happened because I learn first hand has been amazing.

In the course of all of this, I also got to prepare to teach my kiddos.  So I got a children's story that gave us a main truth to focus on and then gave a suggestion for how to teach preschool children.  This was a HUGE gift in understanding my adult lesson.  I have loved getting to distill those big and sometimes complicated lessons to something that is the essence of what a passage is teaching.  And most amazingly, those are the seeds that take root in my heart.

We often see in the Bible that we are told to become like little children.  That is when we are teachable and not jaded and simple-minded and able to really grasp these things.    No one can take what I've learned and depth at which I've learned it because of my time in the Children's Program at BSF.

If you have preschool children, teach them God's Word.  They can learn so much!  And if you can, take them to BSF where they WILL be taught truth from God's word.  And if you ever have the opportunity to serve in the Children's Program, take it!  You will never regret learning God's Word like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment