Monday, January 28, 2008

december 2006

last year, i did publicity for MOPS and i tried not to be self-indulgent and write too much, but i did a bit. so here's one from our december newsletter...i feel compelled to clarify that MOPS is an outreach ministry and many of the ladies that come to our group are not churched or are not living a fruit-bearing Christian life. "lifestyle evangelism" is used a lot in all the training materials. we don't do bible study and we don't preach, but we do love on the ladies and show them that during these early years of mothering, there is something that can make a HUGE difference--JESUS! Christmas and Easter are great times for us to clearly present the wonderful news as we simply present the meanings of these celebrations.

last year the theme verse was john 10:10b:
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

it was a good way to talk about what the "abundant life" is and how you get it.


Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men?
(december 1, 2006)

I find it terribly ironic that as a Christian, I dread Christmas. I, of course, do not dread the celebration of my Savior’s birth, but what this season has come to mean. Every year I try to enjoy the holidays and to remind myself of the “reason for the season.” Somehow, as December gets started and the already harried pace of life speeds even more, I find myself caught up in all the wrong things. I am less than kind to my husband, I have less patience to give my children, I have anxiety about finite finances and time, I obsess about what to give to whom, I let myself be controlled by my circumstances, and in the end, I usually end up resentful that I didn’t slow down and focus on what really matters. I suppose there is progress in recognizing the pattern.
This year, I am choosing now to have a better attitude and outlook. I will wake up each day thanking God for His glorious creation and for His wonderful gift—one that came down and dwelt among men that we may all be saved. I will remember that God’s gift not only reconciles me to Him, thus allowing me to have eternal life, but also gives me the resources I need to have a full life NOW. That simply amazes me! We don’t have to wait to have access to His supernatural love and peace and patience and kindness, or any fruit of the Spirit. As His child, I have those resources for use at all times—in all circumstances.

Therefore, I choose now to love and be kind to my family and my neighbors and the lady that took the parking spot I was waiting for and the man that won’t let me merge and the family member that has yet to reciprocate with a Christmas card. I choose to have peace in the midst of family feuds, in the company of selfish people, and at the height of the shopping frenzy. I choose to remember that my children are just children who haven’t quite figured out that the world does not revolve around them, who haven’t quite mastered the art of self control, who are still being trained to consider others, and who will make their own choices—about big and small things. I cannot control anyone else’s choices (not even my kids L).

All I can control are my thoughts, my attitude, and my actions. Whatever the circumstance, I have a choice as to how I will act and react. So, before anything “sets me off,” I choose now to behave in a manner consistent with what I believe—God is in control of EVERYTHING, He loves me (and you), and the ultimate purpose of my life is to glorify God. How then will I be affected by the hordes of people out shopping this month? By the blatant advertising? By my children’s incessant “gimme” attacks? By the parties that make no mention of Christ? By my brothers and sisters in Christ who are angry and judgmental that Christmas is turning into a “holiday” circus? Will I use my limited resources or will I remember who dwells within me? I will choose to glorify God with my response to believers and unbelievers, and with my attitude toward all of it.

Simply, my prayer is that God give me a compassionate heart—this Christmas and always. I want to remember that the likely reason many fill their shopping carts and calendars and plates to excess is that they are looking for the thing that will make them full. They are trying to satisfy the yearning deep within them that can only be satisfied with a personal relationship with the God of the universe. If you don’t have that relationship, ask someone to help you find it. If you do, I challenge you to join me in that prayer for yourself—daily pray that God gives you compassion for those who seek Him and may not even realize it.

As we get ready for the rest of December, I’m choosing now to focus on Christ—yes, the “reason for the season”—but not as just the baby in the manger, but as He who came that I may have life, and have it abundantly. I truly want to have peace in my heart and to show good will to all with whom I come in contact. Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy celebrating the New Year!

Feel free to ask me how I did when we meet again in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment