Thursday, February 28, 2008

last of it, MOPS 2008

Have a great 2008!
(MOPS eNews Jan. 16, 2008)

I hear the buzz this year is not about resolutions but about setting goals. What goals can you set? As a mother of preschoolers, you can choose a few realistic and attainable goals for the new year. Interested? Keep in mind that you can only control a fraction of the things in your life. Those are the things you can affect by setting goals. Take small steps to avoid frustration and discouragement, but do take them. The sense of accomplishment is worth the effort.

Being a better housekeeper has been a resolution for years now. Somehow, that was always so daunting and vague. I had to break it down. For example, I have always tried to remember to change the AC intake filters for the AC system in my house. It would dawn on me that I had no idea when I'd last done it. I'd then remove the most disgusting, dust-caked thing. Now, I make myself a date with the air filters (writing forward on my calendar) and then feel good when I do something so simple but important for the health of my family. Yes, this is a small thing, but I celebrate it.

Something that helps me is some advice I just found again:

"Begin with the end in mind--then determine the step needed to reach your goal. Use SMART criteria when setting goals: Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic/Relevant, Time-limited."

I choose goals to accomplish a task not just "become" some new person. I look for ways to measure the steps until the goal is attained (this is hard to do sometimes). I am realistic about how much I can do and what makes sense for me and my family. And as much as possible, I pick a deadline--maybe summer or spring break or whatever, depending on the goal. I also know that I only have a limited amount of time and not everything I want to do will get accomplished. So I can appreciate the following quote:

"O Lord, may I be directed what to do and what to leave undone." (Elizabeth Fry)

I want to choose the important things to make goals about so I pray for wisdom and discernment. I do not make many goals either, because I would rather attain the few I have chosen rather than feel discouraged because I left so much "half done."

This year I've even sat down with the kids to pick a few goals for them. One thing that was crucial for making it fun was attaching a reward for attaining the goal. Isn't it more fun to work toward something when you know that you get a treat once the work pays off? So, we may have a few trips to the toy store and some ice cream runs on school nights, but it'll be worth my youngest being potty trained, my son writing his ABCs, and my oldest riding without training wheels. Plus, I managed to work in a mommy-only trip as my reward for getting those last few stubborn pounds off. (Yes, feeling good about yourself IS important.)

Feel free to check how we're doing. Have a great year!


No comments:

Post a Comment