Sunday, January 19, 2014

God's sense of humor

It really is quite funny when I think of my previous thoughts on working with children. I would tell you that I didn't really like little kids.  Of course, as a mom, I learned how to like MY kids and my friends' kids.  But the idea of spending extended time with little people induced a bit of anxiety in me.

Well, a few years ago, God decided it was time to throw me for a loop.  He brought me to a place of trusting Him even when I felt uncomfortable.  How could I grow if I fought to stay in my comfort zone and doing the same old thing because it felt "safe."  I did the stuff I had a natural affinity and skill to do.
Yes, He is the source of these gifts and skills.  BUT I was working in my own strength.

Then I was asked to take a position of teaching preschoolers.  What?  Then I understood what it really means for God to give spiritual gifts--that are NEW, above & beyond any natural inclinations and abilities.  I hadn't work with kids, I didn't want to teach, because I couldn't.  But God...

I stepped out in faith.  I said, "Yes, Jesus.  I trust you."  What happened next is the miracle of God changing desires and thought patterns and abilities!  I had a group of four/five-year olds that I grew to love as I prayed for them and taught them God's Word.

I'm still trying to understand what God is calling me to do.  I have found a passion for teaching God's Word in a simple and straight-forward way.  If I have to resort to big words and sophisticated logic, then something isn't right.  I want to make it simple enough for a preschooler to understand.

I want to document the series we're beginning.  I want to be back soon to tell you about God's CALL on Abram (Abraham's) life.  Of course, it is not lost on my that my last post was on the summer study of Abraham.

If you're reading this and I haven't posted the first lesson, send me a text and remind me.  LOL!

“Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."  Mark 10:14b

Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment