Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A LOT like Lot, part 2

In the first part, the SHALLOWNESS of Lot's faith is what convicts me to seek depth to my relationship with God. Today, I consider Lot's SELFISHNESS.

It was their time in Egypt, I think, when seeds of discontent were planted.

It didn't help that Abraham had traveled to Egypt because of a famine--circumstances that were testing his faith.  Abraham was looking to Egypt to provide rather than to God.

It was in this context of Abraham NOT looking to God, that perhaps Lot started looking elsewhere too.

Lot saw the riches of Egypt, which soon became his as he and Abraham received from Pharaoh for Sarah's sake.  Abraham had lied, Sarah had been taken (essentially bought).

Did Lot not realize he benefited materially as a result of someone's sin?

God graciously protected Sarah by inflicting Pharaoh and his house with a serious disease.  Pharaoh somehow figured it out and sent them out of Egypt.  But they keep their stuff.

Stuff is not an evidence of blessing.

I think this was a test.  Just like having need (famine) was a test, having no material need (prosperity) was a test.  It wasn't long before the stuff became a source of argument between Lot and Abraham.

How does stuff affect you?  Does it get in the way of relationships?  Do you choose stuff over people?

Abraham initiative to solve the problem shows leadership and trust in God to provide.  Lot's choice to take all the plain, that looked "like the land of Egypt," shows us his selfishness and his trust in the plain to provide.

Are you choosing your location because you're thinking how it'll provide for you?  A job that pays well, even if the environment is toxic?  Working hours that take you away from family?  A school that will look good on college applications even if you're far from God and His people?  Overloaded with extra classes and activities--neglecting God and others--to get into the "right" school?

Are you making choices that ultimately say, "I have to provide for myself" and in essence, "I don't trust God to do it"?

Don't misunderstand.  "Working hard" is not the issue.  "Having stuff" is not the issue.  It's about a heart that trusts God or DOESN'T.

You know best where you are and why you're choosing.  If this isn't convicting to you, then don't own it--it isn't for you.  Examine your heart and motives.

I see myself as Lot, trusting in what my eyes see, maybe even saying, "Hey, I have seen you, Abraham.  How you talk to God and show others how great God is.  I'll just move near that sinful city and show them God.  Oh, I won't actually go live there, just pitch my tents NEAR there.  The plain will sustain me while I live where they can see me."

Makes sense to me.

This is how God speaks to me when I choose by sight, out of fear, when I trust stuff and position rather than Him.  He shows me how much I am like Lot so I can choose well the next time.

He shows me Abraham who by contrast set himself apart and takes Lot's "leftovers."  Abraham TRUSTED GOD TO PROVIDE.


No comments:

Post a Comment