I have been captivated by the character study of
Lot. I wanted to post on it, but it is
SO much that I will break it up into a few posts.
Lot's story makes me flash back to high
school English class and learning about a foil.
A character that makes the main character, presumably the hero, look
good. More precisely:
The
term ‘foil’ refers to a literary device where the author creates a character
whose primary purpose is to create a contrast to another character by laying
emphasis or drawing attention to the latter’s traits and characteristics
through the former’s obviously contradictory ones.
The study we'reworking through is a study of the life of faith of Abraham (who is Abram at the beginning of his journey). Chapter 2, however, was a study of Lot--as Abraham's foil. We can learn about Abraham's life by seeing the life of Lot, his contemporary, his "like-a-son" nephew.
BACKGROUND
We are introduced to Lot when Abraham is introduced (Genesis 11:26-28). We learn Lot's own father, Haran, died while the entire family was still living in Ur of the Chaldeans (present-day Iraq). We know from Acts 7:2-3 and Genesis 15:7 that God spoke to Abram/Abraham and called him out of Ur to go to Canaan (still highly-contested real estate in the Middle East).
However, we see in 11:31 that
the WHOLE FAMILY leaves Ur, but stopped in Haran. [I've been curious about the
name of the city and Lot's father, but I'll investigate some other time.] It's not until Terah (Abraham's father) dies
that Abraham resumes his journey.
Abraham does not continue alone. Lot goes with Abraham to Canaan (Gen 12:4,5) then to Egypt (as evidence by his return from Egypt 13:1, 5). I imagine that Abraham had contagious faith--that Lot wanted to be where Abraham was because God spoke to Abraham and it was OBVIOUS and ATTRACTIVE.
Abraham does not continue alone. Lot goes with Abraham to Canaan (Gen 12:4,5) then to Egypt (as evidence by his return from Egypt 13:1, 5). I imagine that Abraham had contagious faith--that Lot wanted to be where Abraham was because God spoke to Abraham and it was OBVIOUS and ATTRACTIVE.
We don't know how
Lot showed his faith: nothing is recorded for us about building altars or
calling on the name of the LORD or hearing from God. Was Lot there when Abraham did those things? Did Lot think that was enough? He was witnessing God's words and work, he was being led by a man who was obsessed with hearing God. Is proximity enough?
We do know Lot had SAVING faith--he is called "righteous" in 2 Peter 2:7-8. [God's word is the best commentary for itself and we should look for clarification to come from its pages. God's word is TRUTH.] I imagine Abraham must have "preached" to Lot and Lot believed, so it was "accounted to him as righteousness." Abraham was communicating with the CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE--I would be excited to share too!
We do know Lot had SAVING faith--he is called "righteous" in 2 Peter 2:7-8. [God's word is the best commentary for itself and we should look for clarification to come from its pages. God's word is TRUTH.] I imagine Abraham must have "preached" to Lot and Lot believed, so it was "accounted to him as righteousness." Abraham was communicating with the CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE--I would be excited to share too!
Romans 4:5However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.
I am not making a judgment on Lot's life, I am going with what God's word says. God, the Holy Spirit, inspired Peter to record for us that Lot was a righteous man. Whatever any evidence leads me to conclude, the TRUTH of God trumps what I think. Lot was see by God as righteous, therefore that is what he was.
However, we do not
see any DEPTH to his faith. As long as
Lot was near Abraham, he seems fine, but then they part ways and it does not go
well for Lot.
Seeing him as he
relates to Abraham has caused me to reflect on how much I am like Lot. I love how God uses these ancient, seemingly
irrelevant stories to grow us--to convict us so that we can make decisions FOR
Him. As I mentioned before, conviction
is very different than guilt. God doesn't
reveal our sin so we can live in defeat, God shines a light so we can work on
things.
Only by His grace can we see it, only by His power can we work on it. He gives us the victory.
Only by His grace can we see it, only by His power can we work on it. He gives us the victory.
How about you?
Do you see yourself
as Lot? Do you do well when you're near
someone who has strong faith: a parent, a friend, or a pastor? While you're near them: in their home,
hanging out with them, or at church?
What happens when
you venture away?When you hang out with other people? How strong is your
faith? Is there evidence you have any?


No comments:
Post a Comment