But does it matter how we relate to Him? How we come to Him?
God's Word tells us that He created Adam and Eve and enjoyed unbroken fellowship with them.
I wonder how long it took for the serpent to tempt Eve. However long it was, it happened and the perfect fellowship was broken. Adam and Eve sinned and were sent out of the garden.
God in His graciousness sent them out of the garden before they could eat of the tree of life--which would grant them eternal life--and thus eternal separation from God.
I used to be mad at them for screwing things up. Then I realized God had made humankind's perfect representatives. Adam and Eve did what any one of us would.
The fact that I doubted that--that I rejected His provision of perfect representatives PROVES that I didn't trust God. By resenting His choice of Adam and Eve, I show that I too am a sinner.
Beginning in the garden, sin broke mankind's connection to God.
So how did they ever approach Him?
The Bible tell us that once the Israelites left Egypt and arrived at Mt. Sinai, God called Moses up and gave the Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments that reveal His holiness and what we need to do to be holy too.
Of course, He immediately told Moses how they were to approach Him given that they would be breaking the commandments. God knew from the beginning that they (we) would need help--the Ten Commandments exposes our need for His help.
If we are to approach God, we need help. His way is the only way to approach Him. Because we are sinners and are broken and cannot do the things required of us to approach this Holy God, we need to look to Him to provide a way.
He is High and Exalted, the King of Kings, Mighty Creator of the Universe. We are lowly and broken and dirty. The Bible shows us His Holy Character and standard--and by comparison we see how short we fall of those perfections.
He is a King in a castle and we cannot bully our way into His throne room just because we think we're good enough, clean enough, worthy enough. We wear dirty rags--our hearts are filled with attitudes and motives that are sinful.
Anything that contradicts the character of God, the commands of God, is sin. Because that is what He calls it. He made us and He is the one that defines the terms. We do not have the standing in the universe to declare ourselves sinless.
All we can possibly do is call out from outside of the castle walls, in the direction of the throne room.
Do we recognize that He is the King of the Universe? Do we see that we need His mercy to accept us?
Or are we mad that we are paupers outside of His presence and yelling out in rebellion?
Do you want to talk to the King of the Universe?
No comments:
Post a Comment