And really the title should be "The ONLY way to truly engage in prayer."
(I will cover some practical things about how to pray later this month.)
My topic for this challenge is PRAYER.
To kick off the series, I wanted to get some basic definitions and assumptions down.
Because it does matters what we are calling prayer, and WHO we think we're talking to, I had to begin that way before I could say much. I pray we are on the same page and that if you're reading along, this is clear. (If not, please just ask.)
More importantly, I pray that you are tracking with me and that you are praying and deepening your relationship with God.
I've covered:
- WHAT is prayer
- WHO is involved (God and the person praying)
- and a bit of HOW is it possible (because God invites us)
That last part is where I have been parked these last few days as I've been unable to post. The last post (In the castle) was me trying to gain further clarity.
I see prayer as us coming to God. So when I think of how God has told us to approach Him, I think of the system He instituted for His chosen people: the Feasts and Sacrifices.
We approach God, God's way since He is the one calling the shots. And He said that was the way. The only way.
There are examples of people trying to do things their own way and God rejecting them. We are warned to do things in accordance to His command.
The whole system was in place, because God is gracious and knew His people would need a way to make up for breaking His commandments. The whole thing showed us our NEED.
Then came Jesus.
He changed everything. He fulfilled it all--the law and the sacrifices.
He came and lived a life that kept the whole law--He never sinned. He was perfect. Then, He willingly offered His perfect life in exchange for the sin of each and every person that has ever lived and will live on this planet.
The whole system was set in place to point to Him. It's quite beautiful to see it. Perhaps this can be its own series in the future. It blows my mind when I ponder God's plan!
So, review.
God is good and He created us in His image.
Humans messed up right away and were (and are born) separated from God.
We each deserve to live outside of His castle.
BUT God wanted to bring us back.
He didn't leave us on the outside.
He made a way for people to come to Him.
Jesus was the solution--for all time and for all people. His sacrifice wouldn't have to be repeated year after year. He has torn the veil of separation between God and man--we can enter God's presence WHEN WE COME THROUGH JESUS.
He is the ONLY way. (John 14:6)
What about people that don't trust Jesus as their Lord and Savior? They cannot participate in the conversation that the Bible describes as prayer. They can't say "in Jesus' name." They don't have a relationship with the Almighty Creator of the Universe.
The only prayer they can honestly pray, I think, is "God, are you there? Show yourself to me."
They are the ones looking toward the castle, understanding God is King and willing to accept the Messenger's invitation to "Come." They know they need the Prince's robes to grant them access to the King.
The other villagers that are building their own mud castles might be "praying" to something but they are not engaging in PRAYER. They are not talking to the ONE who can move and act on their behalf and in the world. They are not seeking to build that relationship.
They don't see their need for that King--because they are satisfied with sitting on their own mud throne.
Do you know Jesus? Do you know that King that is Might and Able and loves you? When you know Him, then your prayer life is more than words being recited into the air.
If you know Jesus, are you boldly entering the throne room, or are you still looking to add to the royal robes, still looking to make yourself presentable to the King. Being in this category of people made me the most nervous, being someone that knew God--but didn't KNOW God.
If you claim faith in Jesus and yet you do not feel intimacy with God, I pray for you especially. Because through prayer and the study of His Word, you CAN KNOW the Almighty Creator of the Universe.
And that is when your can truly PRAY!!!
Click here for index of all #write31days posts in this PRAYER series.
No comments:
Post a Comment