Sunday, October 11, 2015

Seek Him FIRST

After posting this morning, the verse that kept coming to my mind was one my mom would include in many of the letters she's sent while I was going to college very far from home.  She encouraged me to seek God first.  
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Matthew 6:33
She probably thought I was in danger of running after the wrong things.  She was right.  
But God is merciful. 
I am grateful for her prayers and her encouragement.

This song is one of my current favorites because it reminds me of that verse, but also because it re-calibrates me--I want to pray and seek God to know Him not because I want His blessings or any gifts or favor.  I want to know Him and love Him even if I never get anything.

First


Lauren Daigle (From the album How Can It Be)

Before I bring my need
I will bring my heart
Before I lift my cares
I will lift my arms
I wanna know You
I wanna find You
In every season
In every moment
Before I bring my need
I will bring my heart
And seek You

(chorus)
First
I want to seek You
I want to seek You
First
I want to keep You
I want to keep You
First
More than anything I want, I want You
First

Before I speak a word
Let me hear Your voice
And in the midst of pain
Let me feel Your joy
I wanna know You
I wanna find You
In every season
In every moment
Before I speak a word
I will bring my heart
And seek You

(bridge)
You are my treasure and my reward
Let nothing ever come before
You are my treasure and my reward
Let nothing ever come before
I seek You


Click here for index of all #write31days posts in this PRAYER series.

No comments:

Post a Comment