Thursday, December 15, 2016

Show and tell: Knowing God's Word so that I can do my job

I've been telling myself I need to do the things I know I should be doing.  Primarily, studying God's Word more.  And being more diligent in prayer.

Recently, I was telling a friend how I was feeling defeated because I wasn't studying God's Word enough.  I am not sure what "enough" even means.  

And that's when I finally realized it.

I had somewhere come to a place where I was dismissing the time I spend each week preparing to teach the babies at Bible study.  I work through my own lesson and then meditate on the portion that will then be taught to the kids.  

Sometimes I hear it in various translations.  Or I transcribe part of it.  I look for our Hero:  Jesus and how to make sure the sentences I choose to use with them are rich and full of Him.  I have no time to spend precious moments telling them about details of a story that may serve to distract them.

It really is an amazing gift to distill it down to precious truth about God, about Jesus, about how He is the Hero.

This process each week is imprinting God's Word into MY heart and mind.  This has been the process for a few years now.  And I treasure what He has done--how He has used the time in His Word to transform me.

I am in His Word.  And I see the evidence.  And the enemy of my soul can take back his accusation because I'm not buying it anymore.  There is no condemnation!!!

This year has been even more precious since I have the youngest group.  Their response is their attention.  I can't ask if they understood--I can only pray and trust.  And be faithful and obedient.

So I learn God's Word.  I tuck it deep into my heart so that I can recite it whenever I have the chance.

I typically craft eight to nine sentences.  Carefully choosing simple language--and no pronouns!  Then deciding on which images I want to use to help them focus on me and the few words I will sow.  

Each week I pray for them by name, that their hearts are being prepared by God.  Only He can do that--only He prepares hearts and opens eyes.  I trust Him to do that.  So much freedom!

Then each Wednesday morning, when the moment is ripe, and they are happy and satisfied, and the morning tears have subsided, we sing:

Do you know what time it is?
What time it is?
What time it is?
Do you know what time it is?
It's Bible story time.

or we chant:

Absolutely true
Absolutely true
Everything the Bible says is
Absolutely true

and we pray.

And out go the seeds for the day.  Then we love and rock and sing to babies.  And if any were sleeping when the story was shared, they get a private encore.  

And we trust the they feel Jesus' love and peace in that room.  And we pray for mommas who are themselves receiving precious truths into their hearts.  

I love how God is allowing me to serve this year.  It is a gift to me.  Because as I am being equipped to show and tell what God is pouring into me, I am being transformed.

Each Wednesday I am poured out, and I am tired, and yet I am full and so very energized.  

What a privilege!


Thank you, Lord, for showing me the better way--the way of trust and surrender to your timing. Thank you for growing my dependence on you, for giving me the grace to surrender the need to see any results and simply trust you with the sowing of seeds of truth.  Thank you that I have been delivered from the shackles of performance and script and frustration over plans gone awry.  Please keep me from looking to others for approval or validation.  Keep me from thinking I can do this job on my own strength--keep my eyes on you and your moment-by-moment enabling.  Thank you that because of Jesus you hear the desires of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment