Sunday, October 18, 2015

5 Ways Gratitude Has Improved My Prayer Life

It is not a new message.  "Be grateful."

It is good to take stock of what we have, the favor that's been shown to us--in ALL situations there is something for which to be grateful.

I work to see that "silver lining" in all things because my natural tendency can tend to the negative.  God in His graciousness has given me a new nature that sees His blessings, His favor, His hand moving in spite of pain and discomfort.  I KNOW He is at work, and even though I don't see the whole picture, I am grateful there there IS a big picture.

My prayers of thanksgiving are just a listing of where I see His hand.  I thank Him for what He is doing.  I thank Him when I see the answers to my requests.  Practicing gratitude has affected HOW I pray.

1.  Gratitude re-orients me to the God that is in control.  He is the one that is acting in my life and in the world around me.  All good things come from Him.  All things, even those I call "bad" are being used for my good and His glory.  I worship Him more each time I see evidence of His work.

2.  Gratitude helps me confirm what I know about God.  His hand in my life is consistent with the God that acted in the lives of the people whose stories are recorded in the Bible.  Even when an answer is "no" to some request, I get to know God's character more. And I get a glimpse at what His plan might be.  His "no" to my plan means my request is not in His best plan for me.

(As a parent, I've seen how I withhold things from my kids because I have something else, something better in store.  They just don't know it!  God IS our Father and I am grateful He allows me to be a parent so I can better understand Him.)

3.  Gratitude causes me to pray more specifically. SO THAT I can SEE the answer.  I'll pray for no rain.  Then when it doesn't rain, I can thank God for granting that request and my relationship with Him is strengthened.  I am looking for His answers, His work.

Some say, "well, that would have happened anyway."  I disagree.  How can they know?  I think weather is the example I use most because although I see a forecast, I know my God controls the skies, the wind, the storms.  I have no problem praying for rain to delay, or for rain to come.  If he says "no" to me, it is because His plan is to work it ALL out for His glory.  What if there were hundreds of people praying for the very opposite thing?  His answers strengthen the faith of His children.  I rest that His will prevails. It doesn't keep me from asking though.

4.  Gratitude emboldens me to pray BIG.  This is tied to the previous one.  Because I know that God can do anything.  I pour out my heart and tell Him what I would like.  I am not guaranteed a "yes,"  but I can ask.  And when he does grant my request, I am challenged to thank Him for as long as I've been asking.  The bigger the thing God has granted, the more (and longer) I want to be thankful for His favor.

5.  Gratitude always gives me something to say to God. I can't say I don't know what to pray.  I have so much for which to be thankful!  And the more I come to God, the deeper the relationship, the stronger the love I have for Him, the quicker my obedience.  My spiritual growth is tied directly with my prayer life.

And I am so grateful that He promises to listen, that He has revealed Himself in the Bible and in His movement in my life, and that He uses it all to grow me into the likeness of His Son.


Click here for index of all #write31days posts in this PRAYER series.

No comments:

Post a Comment