Dear Younger Me:
Something life changing will happen while you're in Texas. You're not expecting it. You turned down the opportunity for a second summer in Kansas City--you just want to be "home." I think it's started to sink in that the "real world" is just around the corner.
And you really don't want to be a grown up. So, one more summer of fun, dancing, sleeping in, and living rent-free.
Then one Thursday evening in June, you will join a big group to celebrate the milestone birthday of a high school friend.
And there he'll be. Smiling. Waiting to dance with you because the birthday girl has played matchmaker.
But you are hard-headed and thick-skinned. At some point in the evening filled with chit chat and dancing. "Well, I'm just home for the summer." Hinting at, Don't even think this will go anywhere.
I think he thought, Challenge accepted.
By August, you are both smitten. You each have two years until graduation. And you will take it one month at a time. Calls and visits and email. Then months figuring out how you will get back to Texas.
A summer in College Station will again change the trajectory of your life. You'll find the perfect way to postpone adulthood: graduate school.
That summer will also include a marriage proposal and a gentle reminder about a promise once made: "I will marry a man who believes in Jesus."
Also a not-so-gentle shoving of that thought to the back of your mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment